Thursday, March 11, 2010

Radio To Go



This past Sunday afternoon I grabbed my radio bag and newly charged battery and headed to the Fort Lee Historic Park. The park is located on a cliff top high above the Hudson River. Spectacular views of the George Washington Bridge and the upper Manhattan skyline were the perfect setting to check out.

The weather was a nice sunny day with temps in the 50 degree range, after some sight seeing I loaded the 20 meter ham stick on the car roof and wanted to put my battery to the test. My view from the parking lot was the GWB. I cranked up the power on my Yaesu 857D to 30W and worked France and Germany. Dropped the power down to 25 watts and worked Italy and another station in Germany. Overall conditions were good and the SSB contest kept the bands alive.



I would have like to spent more time chatting but all stations were contest crazy. Next time I plan to drop my power down to 10 watts and have some fun. Before I left a young lady took this huge boa snake out of her car, had to go check it out. She offered to take a picture of me holding it but this thing was BIG!

Maybe next time!

2 comments:

  1. My old stomping grounds! Spent many a year exploring the Palisades and Hudson River on foot and by boat. Thanks for the memories!

    73 de Paul WW2PT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    Its a cool place to check out and offers great views! I will have to go back when it warms up.
    Best Regards - Jim

    ReplyDelete