Sunday, February 19, 2012

State Park Saturday

Had some free time Saturday afternoon to play radio so I grabbed my nap shack, hamstick, and battery and went to Shepherd Lake, which is part of Ringwood State Park in NJ.

After a quick walk by the water and a few photos I set up my car station on 20 meters SSB. Only had two contacts in my hours time before a slight drizzle of rain started.

Nice & quiet
First contact was a special event station in Germany, DM800ANH. It took me about 5 minutes of listening before I got the call correct. (I was not the only one) Next was a group of guys in Wisconsin on the air in a house rotating operators, drinking beer, eating and telling stories. Sounds like they had a great time for all. The call was WB9AZA. They plan on doing this once a year. I can't wait to see that qsl card.




View from the car
The good thing about going to the State Parks this time of year is the cost, free or a low admission to get in off season and less people around in general. I am a member of the parks on the air Yahoo group so my next trip I will work on the 5 plus contacts necessary to activate a park, should be fun.
Bear Country...Yikes!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,
    I am glad we don't have bears in the Netherlands. I hope spring will come soon for outdoor activities. We made a nice walk in a forrest Saturday. But is was a bit chilly. No radio equipment at hand. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    I would do more hiking but in the warmer months the bears are a concern. They have available bear bells you carry that alerts them your coming and hopefully they run away. A nice walk in the woods is a great escape from the everyday stress we all face.
    Regards - Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jim,

    Looks like you had a great day! Lot's of bears around here in WV but have never had a problem with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Jim, very nice shots of the area and a lot less snow than we have for sure. As Paul said....I too am hoping for the spring to arrive very soon as well.

    ReplyDelete